U.S. Department of Homeland Security
September 19, 2006 Fact Sheet



. On August 11, 2006, the Department of Homeland Security announced that it would now allow certain Cuban medical personnel in third countries (that is, not in Cuba or the United States) to apply for parole at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.


. To qualify for consideration of parole, individuals must meet the following criteria:

.. Must be a Cuban national or citizen.

.. Must be a medical professional currently conscripted to study or work in a third country under the direction of the Government of Cuba.

.. Must be admissible into the United States.

The spouse and minor children of individuals meeting the above criteria may also be included. These family members may be present with the medical professional in a third country or may be residing in Cuba.

. Interested individuals will be required to submit Department of State forms DS-156,

DS-157, and DS-158 as well as proof of nationality and profession. This may include but is not limited to: a Cuban passport, host country work visa, birth certificate, marriage certificate, educational or professional certificates, Cuban identity card (Carnet), work orders from the Government of Cuba and relevant host country documentation.

. If approved, travel costs and arrangements (including obtaining exit visas) are the responsibility of the applicant.

. Information on applying for family members in Cuba will be forthcoming in the future.



Q. Who constitutes "Cuban medical personnel"?

A. The term medical personnel was used to describe doctors and other professionals in the health field who have historically been sent by the Castro regime to work or study in third countries. These same professionals are often denied exit permission by the Government of Cuba to come to the United States. Doctors, nurses, paramedics, physical therapists, lab technicians and sports trainers are examples of groups that may qualify.

Q. Does the term "dependents" include those who are not Cuban nationals or citizens?

A. Like many other immigration programs, individuals may include dependents (spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21) on their applications regardless of nationality. In order to be recognized by U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the marriage must be considered legal in the country in which it was celebrated.

Q. How can a spouse or minor children be included on the application if they reside in Cuba?

A. Spouses and children who are physically present with the primary applicant may be included on the applicant's case for immediate consideration. Additional information on applying for dependents residing in Cuba will be forthcoming shortly.

Q. How long will the process take?

A. Adjudication of the parole request may take two weeks or longer depending on completion of security checks.